It is okay if your weekly action plan does not go as planned.
Remember that you are not alone. You can get help from:
- your healthcare team
- your family
- your friends
On a regular basis (weekly) think about how you did with your action plan. Ask yourself:
- what went well with last week’s action plan?
- what did not go as planned with last week’s action plan?
If you achieved your action plan – great! Now make a new plan for the coming week to keep moving toward your goal.
If something got in the way of achieving your action plan, don’t worry. This may happen sometimes. It is important to prepare for times when things do not go as planned. An important skill to learn is how to problem-solve and continue moving toward your goal.
What Do I Do When My Action Plan Does Not Go As Planned?
You may find that your action plan each week may not always go as planned. This is normal. Problem solving is a key skill to learn so that when problems come up, you know how to deal with them.
Here are some steps to follow when things don’t go as planned.
- Identify the problem. What stopped you from doing your action plan?
- Brainstorm and come up with ideas or other ways to achieve your plan.
- Pick one idea to try.
- Build your next action plan. Did it work?
- Try another idea if the first did not work.
- Ask for help from other people, such as your family, friends, or experts.