It is important to be prepared for a relapse.
Thinking about the reasons you wanted to reach this goal is key to your success.
Remind yourself why you wanted to reach this goal each time you feel you can’t do it or something gets in the way.
Most people making a change in their lifestyle have a relapse, when they slip back into old habits, at some point. It is important to be prepared for this very normal part of making a lifestyle change and setting a goal.
Relapses often happen when you:
- travel or go on holiday
- get sick
- go through life stresses, such as a death in the family, moving, or changing jobs
Getting Back On Track After a Relapse
1. Why is it important to make a change and set a goal?
Think back to what motivated you to make this change and set this goal in your life. Why is it important for you to keep this goal going?
This goal is important to me because:
2. How important is this goal right now?
Rate how important this goal is for you on a scale of 1-10.
Not very important||
3. How confident are you to achieve this goal?
Rate how confident you are that you can do what it takes to achieve this goal on a scale of 1-10.
Not very confident||
- If the goal you are trying to set is not important to you (you scored below a 7) and you do not feel you have the confidence to do it (you scored below a 7), then it may not be the right goal for you. Choose something else or modify the goal so that you feel it is something you can do. For example, if you wanted to set a goal to walk 5 days per week but you are not confident you can do that, then try 3 days per week instead.
- If you believe it is important (you scored 7 or higher) and you feel you can do it (you scored 7 or higher), then you are likely ready to get back to working on this goal and do well!
Thinking about the reasons you wanted to reach this goal is key to your success. Each time you feel you can’t do it or something gets in the way, think about why you wanted to reach this goal.
Decide in advance how you will deal with the barriers you may face when making a lifestyle change. When things don’t go as planned we need to problem-solve.
Find out how to problem-solve »