These instructions and videos are for information only. They do not replace advice or treatment from your doctor or healthcare team. Talk to your doctor before you start an exercise program. Stop doing any exercise that causes pain and tell your healthcare team.
These exercises will work all of your major muscle groups:
- upper back muscles
- upper thigh muscles (front and back)
- upper arm (front and back)
- shoulder muscles
- calf muscles
- chest muscles
- stomach muscles
The type of exercise you do will depend on the equipment you will be using. The exercises below show you how to use both dumbbells (free weights) and exercise bands. Watch the videos to learn how to do these exercises safely with proper technique. If you are using machines at a gym or at home, instructions on how to use them are included with the machine.
Talk to your doctor before you start an exercise program.
How to Do Your Routine
- Do five minutes of slow walking as a warm-up before you start training.
- Perform exercises slowly and breathe normally. Lift weight while counting to 2 and lower to a count of 3
- Stretch after you finish training.
- Do resistance training 2-3 times per week, with at least one day of rest in between workouts.
- Take a 30 - 60 second rest between sets.
- Stop exercise for the day if you get any symptoms (such as angina, irregular heartbeats, feeling dizzy, shortness of breath, or muscle or joint pain).