Take action to manage your diabetes to live a healthier life. If you do not manage your diabetes your health will suffer.
Your diabetes can be managed.
- If you manage your diabetes you will live a healthier life. You can prevent or delay the onset of the health problems related to having diabetes.
- If you do not manage your diabetes your health will suffer. You will be at high risk for developing the health problems related to having diabetes.
If you have diabetes (any type) take action to manage your diabetes.
- Take your medicines as prescribed by your doctor. This may include diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol lowering medicines
- Eat healthy.
- Do exercise and be active.
- Manage your stress and depression.
- Check your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels to keep them in a normal range.
- Avoid smoking or breathing second-hand smoke.
It is the health problems of diabetes that cause harm and can lead to disability or death, not the disease itself. Long term health problems include heart attack and stroke. Other problems include:
- kidney disease (kidney failure)
- eye disease (loss of vision)
- possible amputation
Your healthcare team will teach you about keeping your blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure in a normal range. They will also teach you how to eat healthy, exercise, manage your stress (or depression) and stop smoking.
Read this section of the website to know how to keep your blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure in a normal range and how to increase your fitness, manage your stress (or depression) and quit smoking.