Take action to eat more fibre.
- Add high fibre foods to your meals and recipes.
- Include fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables in every snack and meal.
- Fill half your plate with vegetables.
- Choose cereal that is high in fibre.
There are many ways to eat more fibre in your diet. Below are tips on how to increase the amount of fibre you eat.
- Start your day with a cereal that is high in fibre. Try steel cut oats, Bran buds® or Fibre 1® cereal.
- Add foods that are high in fibre to your cereal and yogurt. These foods include:
- ground flax seeds
- chia seeds
- psyllium or oat bran
- Add high fibre foods (like the ones listed above) to recipes when you cook or bake.
- Plan your meals and snacks to always include fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables.
- Aim to fill half your plate with vegetables. The more colour on your plate, the more fibre and the more nutrition you get.
- Add other foods that are high in fibre to meals. For example, add legumes, such as beans, dried peas, chickpeas, or lentils.
- Try adding kidney beans or chickpeas to salads or rice dishes.
- Put lentils or black beans in soups.
- Include a bean salad as a side dish.
Registered Dietitian Margaret Brum shares ways you can include legumes in your daily diet.