Know the signs of depression. Talk to you doctor about how you are feeling.
Depression is a mental health problem that involves how you feel. Depression is more common in people with diabetes. When you are depressed, your self-management decreases which means you may not take good care of your diabetes. Know the signs of depression so you can get help.
The signs of depression include:
- loss of enjoyment in doing the things that used to be enjoyable
- feeling down, hopeless or sad
- difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- having very little energy
- changes in appetite, either loss of appetite or excessive appetite
- having negative thoughts and feelings about yourself
- trouble concentrating
- loss of interest in sex
If you have many of these signs for 2 weeks or longer you may be depressed. Talk to your doctor about how you are feeling.
Visit the Feel Well section to learn more about managing stress and depression »